Maria von Trapp wasn’t the only one to have a list – ours are just more virtual! We’ve spent the better part of the summer coming up with our favorite places accessible from your computer or mobile device, and we’re sure that you’re already aware that Google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter are worth checking out. Below are the sites and apps that we found to be useful, entertaining, innovative or just plain addictive — and in some cases, all of the above. Read on and we’ll tell you about a few of our favorites in five categories . . . then let us know about yours in the comments.
- Northeast Ohio by the Numbers – some of the best infographics come from our member, The Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District! Our favorite campaign is #WaitToTweet which details the use of cellphones in the Loo.
- A (Very Simple) Guide to Municipal Wastewater – looking for an easy way to explain how a municipal clean water plant works? Then this one is for you!
- Wastewater Treatment Costs in U.S. Cities – more charts and graphs than you can shake a stick at!
Social Media Savvy Tunnel Boring Machines: We can’t compete with the social media skills of some of these Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs)!
- Mackenzie (Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District) – while she has just recently finished her run (it’s been hard to say goodbye!) – her Tweets can’t compare.
- Lady Bird (DC Water) – just starting the job – and check out the Ken Kirk conveyor that will be following her wherever she goes!
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – lovely photos of EPA’s programs across the country.
- Veolia – the best photo album of photos of the clean water process that we’ve found.
- U.S. Department of Interior – we know that the professional photogs have gotten involved – but the photos are amazing!
- The White House – some the best candids from both the residents of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and those who stop by.
Social Media Savvy Political Personalities: We love these savvy politicians that keep us updated on all the ins and outs of what’s going on.
- Gina McCarthy, Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – while new to the job, and social media, we know that Administrator McCarthy is going to be a force to be reckoned with in this type of media!
- Representative John Boehner (R-OH), Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives – an excellent overview of what’s going on in the U.S. House of Representatives
- Senator Harry Reid (D-NV), Majority Leader, U.S. Senate – an insider’s view of what’s going on in the Senate.
Wastewater Games: We promise not to tell anyone that you are spending your time playing these wastewater-centric games!
- Help Officer Gus – from our friends at Alexandria Renew Enterprises, the game features Officer Gus, the water drop, as he takes you through the wastewater treatment process from beginning to end.
- Thirstin’s Question & Answer Game – developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, what is your water IQ?
- Where’s my Water App – Those folks at Disney sure know how to create an app! Help Swampy by guiding water to his broken shower. Each level is a challenging puzzle and includes real life water scenarios.
- Manhole Match – for those of us of a certain age, we remember the game “Memory” this is the manhole equivalent, from our members at the City of San Diego Public Utilities.